Eating healthy is something everyone should do in order to stay happy and satisfied. One way to achieve this is by making your own delicious, healthy and affordable food. One of the most popular trending dishes these days is sweet potato toast. Sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, which makes them orange and packed with vitamin A, the essential nutrient that is associated with eye health, immunity support and skin protection. Here is a guide on how to prepare this delicious, healthy and colorful dish.
– Loaf of sliced bread: 8 slices (your choice)
– 1 sweet potato
– 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (or spread if you want it to be healthier)
– 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves – optional but highly recommended!
– Salt, pepper, olive oil (or other cooking oil) for seasoning the sweet potato and toast before toasting.
Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly and dry them off with a kitchen towel. Remove the ends and cut it into thick slices. Place it on a baking sheet and sprinkle some salt on top of it. Let it sit for at least half an hour to let the sweet potatoes absorb the salt and become soft. Prepare the bread by cutting each slice into four long strips with a bread knife.
Preparation of Toast Ingredients
1. Wash and pat dry the bread slices before starting toasting – again, optional but highly recommended!
2. Cut each slice into four long strips with a bread knife. Clean and dry the pan thoroughly before toasting the bread.
In a large pan, heat olive oil or cooking oil of your choice. Once it’s heated, turn the heat down and add sage leaves, if you want to use them.
After 5 minutes of cooking on medium-high heat, switch off and add sweet potato slices. Season with salt and pepper if needed before flipping them so they cook evenly all over their surface area.
As the sweet potatoes cook, the sides will turn golden brown, which is a sign that they are ready to be flipped.
Once they are all flipped over, wait a minute and then flip them back over. Season with salt and pepper as well on both sides of the bread slices. This should take about 2 minutes on each side.
As it cooks on medium-high heat, lower the heat to medium and spread butter on one side of the bread slices. Toast it on the same pan and flip it over so you get butter in with the cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom on that side.
Once again, wait a minute until it turns golden brown and then flip it over.
As the sweet potatoes cook, their surface area will turn a shade more orange, which is another sign that they are done.